A easy to make sausage and sweet potato makes a delicious filling for these quesadillas. Serve with plenty of salsa, sour cream, and guacamole and get the party started!
- 1 (12 oz) Pork Sausage Roll (Example: Habbersett All Natural Pork Sausage Roll , Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage Roll)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into a 1/4″ dice (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, minced
- 8 ounces beer or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sliced jalapeño, salsa, sour cream, and guacamole, (optional)
Crumble sausage into large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to plate and discard any grease that has accumulated in pan.Return pan to stove and add onion; cook 1 minute. Add sweet potato and jalapeño; cook 3 minutes. Add beer or broth, bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft and liquid has evaporated. Stir in cooked sausage, chili powder, and scallions.Place tortilla on flat work surface. Scatter 1/8 of cheese over half tortilla. Spread 3/4 cup of sausage filling over cheese. Add a few jalapeño slices, if desired. Top with another 1/8 of cheese. Fold tortilla in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 4 quesadillas.Heat oil on griddle (or large pan) set over medium-high heat. Cook quesadillas one at a time, for 1-2 minutes per side, or until tortilla is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for dipping.