- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Slit open on the side for stuffing; set aside.
- In a large skillet coat with oil, and brown both sides of chicken, remove and let cool
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, garlic, nutmeg, egg and ¾ of the mozzarella cheese. Mix well and stuff each breast with ¼ of the mixture; secure with toothpicks and place stuffed breasts in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour 1c of sauce on bottom of baking dish, and then place stuffed chicken in pan and pour the rest of the sauce over all.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- The last 15min’s of baking spread the rest of the Mozzarella & Parmesan cheese over the top, bring the heat up to 475 degrees, cook until you get a nice brown crust on top (keep an eye on this, you don’t want to burn the top).
NOTE: If you choose not to use the toothpicks, (can be a real pain) that’s ok the cheese oozes out into the sauce which is yummy too. I make sure to use chopped frozen spinach rather than whole leaf. Once it’s thawed I squeeze out the access juice and actually ran my knife through it some more to ensure smaller pieces. For the sauce: I sautéed mushrooms and garlic and added it to the store bought sauce for extra flavor. Serve with a side of pasta, or grilled asparagus. ENJOY !!!!