Blue crabs have rich, sweet meat that takes well to light seasoning. Dungeness crab can also be used in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To a saucepan on medium heat, add butter and olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add wine, oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Return pan to heat and sauté contents for another 1-2 minutes. If you happen to have saved the roe from the crabs, add it to the hot pan, mixing it in evenly with the contents.
- Place cleaned crabs on a baking sheet, belly-up. Spoon contents of garlic and oil mixture evenly onto each crab. Place baking sheet in oven and bake until meat becomes bright white and claws turn red in color, about 20 minutes.
- When crabs are nearly cooked, toast bread slices in the toaster oven until they are a light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- When crabs are ready, transfer them to a platter. Top generously with chopped basil. Serve with toasted bread on the side for dipping. Be sure to give your guests bowls for discarded crab shells.
- Chef’s tip: When preparing crabs, be sure to stun them, either with a blast of hot water or by soaking them in ice-cold water. It’ll make them easier to deal with. They can be fast and their claws aren’t that forgiving.