|Tomato Paste (Contadina)||6oz|
|Tomato Puree (Progresso)||28oz|
|Fresh Sweet Basil|
|Sausages Hot & Sweet (Italian)||6-8|
|Chop meat (not too lean)||1 1/2 lbs|
|Fresh Parsley||1/2 cup|
|Fresh Parsley||3/4 tsp|
|Bread Crumbs (Progresso/unseasoned)||1/4 cup|
|Wesson Oil||1/4 cup|
My mom Josephine was a great cook and still is. All my friends would beg to eat at my house whenever our mom cooked anything that had sauce on it. My mom’s original recipe had her and my grandmother in the kitchen grinding and bottling tomatoes into sauce or days at a time. To day, if you have the time, bottle your own tomatoes, if you do not have the time the recipe still works.
This recipe requires that you only use the exact ingredients, amounts and the exact brands called out. Any substitution or additions will not only change the taste but also void the guarantee of the best sauce.
- Chop two cloves of garlic and the parsley.
- Put the chop meat in a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, parsley, grated cheese, and bread crumbs egg and salt then mix.
- Add the water slowly and mix (use a little less if it get too mushy).
- Roll the meatballs dipping your hands in water for each meatball.
- Add the Wesson oil in a deep-frying pan.
- Fry the pork first until it is brown then remove them
- Fry the sausage until that is brown then remove them
- Fry the meatballs until they are brown then remove them (Note: as you fry the above meat put them in a large pot.)
- In the same frying pan add the chopped onion sauteing till it is golden brown (Do not burn them)
- Lower the flame. Add the tomato paste stirring the paste in the oil. Using the same can, add a can of water slowly scraping the bottom of the frying pan for the entire flavor. Use all the oil.
- Pour the tomato sauce from the frying pan into the pot that has the meat. Add the can of tomato puree and a full can of water. Stir meat and tomato sauce and add salt to taste and the sweet basil.
- If you find the sauce is too thick with all the meat, add another can of tomato puree and a can of water.
- Simmer under low heat for 2 hours. STIR SAUCE OFTEN!!!!
- PASTA – Of course you want to put the sauce on pasta. I recommend Penne pasta. (aka Ziti, penne)