- 8 – 12 Sweet Italian Sausage
- 4 – 8 Bell Peppers (Red, Orange and/or Yellow—NO GREEN)
- 1 Large Onion (I prefer the White Spanish variety)
- 3 cloves of Fresh Garlic
- Fresh Basil (5 leaves)
- Fresh Parsley (10 leaves)
- Fresh Oregano (pinch)
- White Wine (big splash)
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- Olive Oil (big splash)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Hot Red Pepper Flakes to taste (optional)
- Fire up your outdoor BBQ, indoor broiler or stovetop and burn the heck out of your peppers. Don’t worry…you really can’t overcook them.
- Once burnt, put them in a bowl of cold water to loosen their skins. Remove the skins and seeds from the peppers. Rinse. Tear peppers into strips. Set aside in a bowl. (Note: you can prepare your Roasted Peppers a day or two before to save time Just keep them in the fridge until you are ready to use them.)
- Brown your Sausage in a big frying pan with some Olive Oil over a medium to high flame. Remove sausage and set aside. DO NOT CLEAN FRYING PAN.
- Add Butter to your frying pan and loosen up all of the brown caramelized gunk sausage fat in the pan. Slice your Garlic and Onions. Chop up your Parsley and Basil leaves. Throw it all in the same frying pan you used to fry the Sausage. Sautee until transparent.
- Add roasted peppers, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir in some White Wine. And have yourself a glass or two while you’re at it. You deserve it.
- Cook until everything is tender.
- Cut browned Sausages on the diagonal and add to frying pan.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Make sure Sausage is fully cooked.