Choosing good quality tomatoes will make a difference to the flavor of your sauce – we like to go for canned San Marzano tomatoes, which are the traditional choice for Neapolitan pizzas.
Makes enough sauce for 8 x 12” pizzas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 4 cups (800g) canned whole plum tomatoes (we like San Marzano)
- 2 heaped tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the oil in a pan over a medium heat. When warm, add the garlic and fry until softened but not brown.
- Pour the can of plum tomatoes in the pan and use a masher or fork to crush them down.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, then simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, or until the flavor has deepened and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- This sauce can be used straight away, or placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to a week, ready to be used as required.