|small fryer (or picked rotisserie chicken)||1|
|ribs celery with leaves||2|
|long grain rice||2 cups|
|smoked sausage||2 lbs|
|yellow onion, chopped||1 cup|
|green pepper, chopped||3/4 cup|
|fresh parsley, chopped||1/4 cup|
|tomato paste||1 6oz can|
|bay leaf||1 large|
|black pepper||1 psp|
Recipe by Jonnie Fox
- If using small fryer chicken – in large pot, cover chicken withwater; add celery, 1 onion (halved) and garlic. Boil until tender (about 1 hour). Strain and reserve stock. Remove meat from bones.
- In 5 cups reserved stock (add water if not enough from original stock), cook rice about 25 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, fry sausage until lightly browned and remove from heat. Add butter to pan and sauté onion, green pepper, and parsley until tender (about 3 minutes). Add chicken and sausage. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Add rice and mix thoroughly over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
* If using rotisserie chicken, just substitute fresh stock with boxed low-sodium chicken stock and cook rice while picking chicken off bone. Throw picked chicken in with all the other ingredients in Dutch oven and combine with rice after rice is cooked.