- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope au jus mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 -5 pepperoncini peppers
fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Brown the outside of the roast (You don’t need to brown meat before cooking it in a slow cooker, but there are some advantages. If you sear it with a little oil in a hot skillet, the meat develops more complex flavors. If you dredge the meat in flour before you brown it, your sauce will thicken up)
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place roast in the slow cooker and sprinkle with a little black pepper and a little seasoned salt.
- Sprinkle the top with the ranch dressing mix and the au jus mix.
- Place peppers on top of mixes.
- Add the stick of butter on top.
- Set your slow cooker to 8 hours and forget it.
- You do not add any additional water to this.
- Served with mashed or roasted potatoes, but you could serve with egg noodles.
Delicious! I would recommend not adding any extra salt because the au jus and ranch mix have plenty. The peppers are a key ingredient and changes the flavor in a great way! I thickened the gravy with some Wondra flour and served it over mashed potatoes. The gravy is so good you could drink it.